MGA Achievement Award
This award is to recognize individuals, or a team, involved with Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) and its organizational units for singular achievement in the development and completion of a project(s), or activity(ies), directed to the fulfillment of one or more of the MGA goals. This award is designed to recognize those substantive projects or achievements of a relatively short nature (one to three years), but that have left an undeniable imprint on the fabric of regional operations.
The accomplishments of the candidate should be of "significant performance" and should have made a distinguishing contribution to IEEE. The focus should be on volunteering for IEEE, MGA, or its organizational units, not on professional achievement.
THE 2023 NOMINATION PERIOD FOR THIS AWARD IS CLOSED - NEXT PERIOD TO BE ANNOUNCED IN 2024
Examples of previous MGA Award recipient contribution
A few examples of the contributions for which past MGA Achievement Award recipients have been recognized include:
- For enhancing membership value; organized an employment initiative focused on strategies for gaining and enhancing employment for section members; supported the Region Employment Initiative which helped members find work; arranged a satellite broadcast so that it was accessible to many members who otherwise would not have been engaged.
- For increasing the collaboration and cooperation between geographic units; did an outstanding job in reaching out to neighboring IEEE Sections to organize activities that serve the interests of the members; brought together members from several chapters in own Section, members from two geographically adjacent Sections, as well as members from the local student chapter, to make successful tri-Section event.
- For enhancing relationships with industry; served as co-chair of an industry event, which brought a large number of industry professionals to IEEE; great success of the program also encouraged other Sections nearby to host industry events.
- For contributions to the IEEE Center for Leadership Excellence (CLE); was a champion of the CLE initiative and integral to its early success; took the team lead role for the creation of volunteer IEEE training and recruited many of the people within the team; significant work was done under his leadership which was also foundational work for what the CLE is today.
- For promoting IEEE among students and mentoring young professionals to address humanitarian needs through technology; established effective mentoring program through which IEEE members train uneducated youth and women from underprivileged societies; mentored and trained volunteers across the state in promoting IEEE and its vision.
- For creating a robust, engaged member environment by integrating Women In Engineering (WIE) within the Section; started and led the Section WIE Affinity Group; successfully integrated the WIE group with Section functions and activities, resulting in increased exposure and growth of both the Section and WIE group; actively expanded WIE throughout the Region by engaging interested parties in neighboring Sections; started, chaired, and promoted a series of WIE conferences in the local area which attracted attendees from throughout the country/region..
- Must be an IEEE member in good standing
- Cannot be a member of the MGA Board or MGA Awards and Recognition Committee
- Must not be a past recipient of the MGA Achievement Award
- Nomination must be endorsed by two IEEE members
The award must be approved within five years of the initiation of the project or event.
Selection and award instrument
The selection and award instrument include:
- Up to six (6) MGA Achievement Awards will be presented annually
- Recipients will be selected by theMGA Awards and Recognition Committee and approved by the MGA Board at the November MGA Board Meeting
- Nominators and recipients will be notified after the MGA Board meeting
- Recipients will receive a plaque suitably inscribed, attesting to the accomplishment(s) made by the individual(s), and a US$250 cash prize
Please email MGA Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the MGA Achievement Award or the MGA Awards Process.