COVID-19 Travel Updates
** This message is on behalf of Mary Ellen Randall, IEEE MGA Treasurer**
Dear Fellow IEEE Volunteers,
Communication from IEEE Treasurer, Joe Lillie
With some nations and regions seeing increased domestic and international travel as COVID-19 pandemic risk control efforts progress, we recognize that IEEE volunteers may see an increased need to perform critical travel in support of IEEE activities.
To address this need this memo modifies the current IEEE travel guidance with the following items:
1. All IEEE Volunteer travel and associated meetings must adhere to all appropriate guidance from cognizant local public health authorities
2. Given continuing global pandemic risk, only mission critical travel should be conducted at this time. All requests for reimbursable IEEE volunteer travel must be approved at the IEEE Volunteer OU President/Vice-President level. OU Presidents/Vice-Presidents may delegate this authority to another volunteer, but should insure that travel is reviewed to insure that it is critical, necessary, effective and that other alternatives have been considered.
3. Volunteers engaged in IEEE travel at this time voluntarily elect to participate in the activity with knowledge of the dangers involved, and are agreeing to accept and assume any and all risks of property damage, personal injury, or death associated with IEEE related travel. Volunteers should understand that IEEE will not indemnify them for any health risk or economic or other loss resulting from exposure to COVID-19 during travel.
4. IEEE will not reimburse costs associated with mandatory or self-quarantine or isolation associated with IEEE volunteer travel. If there is a risk of quarantine on entering or departing an area, IEEE volunteers should instead plan to participate virtually using IEEE video and teleconferencing tools.
5. IEEE continues to provide video-conferencing, tele-conferencing and online meeting facilities to provide alternatives to high-risk travel.
6. Domestic and International rules remain fluid and subject to change. Until further notice, volunteers should take steps to insure that travel arrangements are flexible and subject to change, credit or refund if plans are disrupted, in accordance with previously issued IEEE guidance.
7. IEEE recommends that if you have any questions, please contact your OU staff business solutions manager or OU volunteer leadership. Further communication will be sent when normal travel plans can be resumed.
Stay safe and thanks for your assistance and understanding in these difficult times.
Joseph V. Lillie
2018-20 IEEE Treasurer
IEEE Foundation Director Emeritus
IEEE 2008-09 Vice President - Member & Geographic Activities
IEEE 2005-06 Treasurer