Volunteer Leadership Training (VoLT) Program
Since its pilot class in 2013, the Volunteer Leadership Training (VoLT) Program prepares IEEE volunteers for leadership roles in their local units and beyond. As of December 2022, 498 volunteers have graduated from the VoLT Program. Our VoLT graduates represent all 10 IEEE Regions, and over 150 Sections. As a testament to the success of the program, graduates are taking positions of leadership across all levels of the organization.
About the Program
The VoLT Program's three goals are to:
- Accelerate volunteers' knowledge of the IEEE's organization, products, services, and resources
- Help volunteers understand their roles within their local units and within the entire organization
- Create a succession tool that develops and prepares future IEEE volunteer leaders
The program starts in September and lasts three months. It consists of weekly live webinars focused on leadership topics. Our guest speakers are highly experienced and passionate senior IEEE volunteers.
An integral part of the VoLT Program has been mentorship. Mentors are assigned to every student to answer questions, discuss topics covered throughout the program, and help navigate their mentee navigate the complex IEEE structure.
A strong candidate for the VoLT Program will meet the following requirements:
- An active IEEE membership
- Completed all eight prerequisite courses by visiting the CLE at:
- Two or more years of experience as an IEEE volunteer
- Four or more years as an IEEE member
- Is a Graduate Student Member or higher
- An interest in becoming a future IEEE leader
- An endorsement letter by a senior IEEE volunteer
Visit our website for more information about the application requirements.
Accepted candidates will be assigned into teams to work on their group project. Teams are instructed to come up with new ideas to implement in their local units. Towards the end of the program, teams submit a business plan and a video. The Mentors’ Panel judges and selects the top three projects.
Notice: The VoLT projects gallery is currently unavailable. It will be available at a later date, please check again soon.
Follow us on social media for updates about the VoLT Program:
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the VoLT Program flyer (PDF, 172KB)
Download a list of VoLT graduates (password-protected file)