IEEE Life Members Committee Strategic Plan
The IEEE Life Members Committee (LMC) maintains a strategic plan to provide guidance and direction in its deliberations and to act on behalf of Life members. The plan states those objectives toward which the Committee is seeking to move. This plan is to be reviewed annually at the last meeting of the year and revised as appropriate. The Committee shall be appointed by the Chair at the first meeting of the year to review the plan and propose changes if needed.
Approved 13 April 2013
Updated November 2017
BackgroundThe scope and functions of the LMC are broadly stated in its charter. The Strategic Plan contains specific objectives by which the LMC seeks to be in accord with the charter.
Elements of the Strategic Plan
The LMC via the Regional Coordinators shall work with the Sections in their respective Regions to form Life Member Affinity Groups (specifically target those Sections without LM Affinity Groups but have 100+ Life Members).
- The LMC via the Regional Coordinators shall work with the Life Member Affinity Groups to ensure active groups.
- The LMC shall continue to publish a Life Member Newsletter, and work to expand articles relative to affinity group activities and local life member activities.
- The LMC shall continue to encourage Life Members to support the IEEE Life Members Fund and shall give preference to proposals that are strongly aligned with the interests of Life Members, as well as to encourage Life Members to submit proposals.
- >The LMC shall continue to promote activities that are of interest to Life Members, as well as to expand those activities to include those members that are 55 and older and may not have qualified for Life Membership.
- The LMC shall encourage relationships and cooperation between LM Affinity Groups, Sections, Technical Chapters, Student Branches and Young Professional Affinity Groups in organizing joint activities.
- The LMC shall seek to leverage available technology to promote activities of life members and collaborations (ex. Collabratec, IEEE.tv, Social Media).
- The LMC shall work to engage those Life Members that are not able to participate in activities in person.
This strategic plan is a rolling five-year plan. It is expected that it be reviewed every year and revised as appropriate.
The LMC shall approve and authorize disbursements from the Life Members Fund, which is an account of the IEEE Foundation, in accordance with the objectives and procedures of IEEE and the IEEE Foundation. Projects, which receive Life members funds, are to be consistent with the interests of IEEE Life members.