U.S. REAL ID ACT – ARE YOU READY?
Starting 1 October, 2020, every U.S. air traveler 18 years of age or older will be required to present a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another federally approved form of identification such as a U.S. passport, to board a domestic flight or enter secure federal facilities that require identification.
Do I Need a Real ID to FLY?
U.S. residents who want to use a driver’s license to board a commercial aircraft will need to obtain the new license by the October 2020 deadline, when it becomes the only identification accepted by the TSA. If you don’t need a license to board a flight, either because you don’t travel or you use a U.S. passport, you do not need the Real ID.
Common Reasons to Obtain a Real ID:
· You want to fly with only your U.S. State-issued ID
· You don’t have a passport or another TSA approved ID
· You need to visit a secure federal facility
Reasons You May Not Need a Real ID:
· You are under 18 years of age
· You only need your I.D. for purposes of identification (e.g. to vote, jury duty, driving)
· You don’t mind bringing another TSA approved ID along when you fly
How Do I Know if My License/ID Card is Real ID-Compliant?
REAL ID-compliant cards are typically marked with a star at the top of the card. If you are not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID-compliant card.
What Document Do I Need to Obtain a Real ID?
To receive a Real ID-compliant license, the Department of Homeland Security requires individuals to provide documentation showing their full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, two proofs of address of principal residence and lawful status. Licenses are still processed by the state; some states may require more information.
We encourage you to review these helpful resources for further information:
· Department of Homeland Security Real ID Act for information, requirements, and frequently asked questions
· Transportation Safety Administration for information on acceptable forms of identification for boarding aircraft